I want to thank The Vintage Cookbookery for nominating me to The Liebster Award. I was delighted to accept. The questions posed to me were as follows, along with my responses:
1) What are your favourite herbs to cook with? It will have to be basil, mint and coriander.
2) What food do you absolutely refuse to eat? Anything that is crawling in nature
3) What are your favourite kitchen appliances? My oven since I roast and bake so much in it. My juicer/blender for all kinds of dry and wet grinding, pulping, mashes , puree as well.
4) If you won $10,000 on the Food Network show, “Chopped”, what would you do with it? Buy a food processor I have been wanting to get hold of. Attend the culinary school on the island of Kea, Greece called Kea Artisanal. And then after the Greece trip , if I have any $ left will use it to buy organic food supplies for the house🙂
5) If you could choose one country, whose food you like cooking the most, which country would it be? It will have to be Italy and Italian food. Also love Greece and greek and mediterranean foods
6) If someone said to you, “For your birthday, I’m going to import any food from anywhere in the world for you, and money is no object”, what would it be? Supply of cheeses since cheese is so darn expensive here in Singapore. Also want an infinite supply of collard, spinach, kale and all kinds of berries – Again these are all imported in Singapore and super expensive and my house is so small that I cannot think of gardening at the moment. Besides not sure how the tropical climate will be to grow these veggies and fruits :(
7) What is the most you would spend for a cookbook (new)? It has to be super awesome and someone whom I j’adore , then will not mind spending about S$70
8) Do you follow a recipe exactly, or take some ‘artistic license’, even if making it for the first time? Definitely take inspiration from so many print and online resources we all have but cannot follow a recipe exactly – Have to increase or decrease few things or add/remove stuff to suit my palate.
9) Have you ever made your own cheese and if so, what kind? Would you like to make your own cheese, if you haven’t already tried it? Have only made Paneer till now which is like an Indian cottage cheese. Very close to ricotta.
10) Do you keep a stocked pantry (if you have some space), or do you just buy what you need for the next few meals? (canned goods, dried pasta, etc.) Try to stock up on dried goods that will last longer .Fresh fruits and veggies are mostly bought weekly.
11) What would your ‘dream’ kitchen be like? Lots of kitchen space with an oven, big refrigerator and food processor. All the cutlery, pots and pans neatly stacked and enough space for them. Enough storage space for all the spices, beans, grains and other dried supplies – I really want lots of mason jars and those colorful tins to store spices, tea, coffee, jams and preserves. I also want a large window with plenty of natural light. On the window sill , I want to grow herbs in particular – basil, mint, coriander, rosemary , chives and oregano.
In additon I was asked to provide 11 random facts about myself:
1. I was born and raised in India
2. I love bitter gourds
3. I used to learn drama until I went to college and secretly wished to be a theatre artist but somehow that dream didn’t come true
4. I love dark chocolate in any form – The darker the better . Can eat 99% dark chocolate.
5. I love classic rock, rock and metal music – Pink Floyd, Metallica, U2, Goo Goo dolls, P.O.D., Phil Collins are among my favorites . There are many more but these are the most played on my playlist.
6. I have a day job got to do something with computers
7. Have travelled around USA, Dubai, Thailand, India, Indonesia and now living in Singapore.
8. I love baking and baked stuff
9. I love cheeses and wish I could live in a big house in New Zealand or Europe making my own cheese and growing my own food
10. As a kid I have grown up climbing trees in our garden – The mango, guava and tamarind trees , I have such fond memories of
11. I love reading and wish there were more hours in a day just dedicated to reading
So, to continue the circle, I would like to nominate the following blogs for The Liebster Award:
Should they choose to accept, here are the following questions to answer. Don’t forget to also give us 11 random facts about yourself!
1) What are your favourite herbs to cook with?
2) What is the most bought ingredient for the food in your kitchen?
3) What are your favourite kitchen appliances?
4) Which is/are your favorite cookbook/s?
5) Which is your all time favorite cuisine?
6) Is there any icon in the food Industry that you admire the most or look up to? If yes then who is it and why?
7) Do you own cookbooks? If yes then how many?
8) Besides sugar, do you use alternative sweetners to sweeten cakes and baked goods? If yes then what are they ?
9) What is the one thing you will always find in your pantry/refrigerator?
10) What are your favorite vegetables you love cooking with?
11) Do you plan all your meals for the week in advance? If Yes then how do you decide on the menu and keep it simple?
If you accept the Liebster Award, in addition to answering the questions and giving us facts about yourself, please refer to all of the official rules at the following website: